Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Bionic Pancreas?

Please excuse my bit of sarcasm, and negativity today. I am feeling some burnout with online posting.
I sat in on the Bionic Pancreas session last year at the Friends For Life Conference. Ed Damiano did a great job with his presentation. I do find it exciting, but I do not trust the Dexcom component that will monitor the BG levels. I am wearing a Dexcom G4 now, and it is sometimes differs from my meter by as much as 30 points. Will the G6 be perfect? I doubt it. One false low, or high, could send someone to the ER with too much insulin because of a false high, or too much glucagon, because of a false low. I will not use a bionic pancreas, ever (Medicare would not cover it anyway, lol). 

I know the bionic pancreas is not a 'cure', but I do not expect there will be a real cure in my lifetime. I know two long term T1D's who had a pancreas transplant, and it has worked very very well! Both of them have been T1 for more then 50 years. One of them is celebrating the 8'th anniversary of her pancreas transplant. The other is a lady in England with a pancreas transplant, and a quadruple bypass. She is also doing very well! I do believe in pancreas transplants, but I do not need one. I am a T1D for 70 years, and my life is very good, without a transplant. If I got a transplant, and was no longer a T1D, then how could I get a 75 year medal?? I suppose I could wait for a transplant after I get the 75 year medal , only five more years, but I want a 100 year medal too!! LOL

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you as well. I was actually speaking with my surgeon this AM, he'd never seen a Cgms before. I explained about the closed loop system and the pros and cons. I was a prime example at the time that my Cgms was showing 2.9 .. but when I did a finger pick .. I was actually 4 .. which is a good number for me. I guess I'm still abit old fashioned and actually at this moment am off Ziggy my Animas Ping while I take a break from tubing, etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you as well. I was actually speaking with my surgeon this AM, he'd never seen a Cgms before. I explained about the closed loop system and the pros and cons. I was a prime example at the time that my Cgms was showing 2.9 .. but when I did a finger pick .. I was actually 4 .. which is a good number for me. I guess I'm still abit old fashioned and actually at this moment am off Ziggy my Animas Ping while I take a break from tubing, etc. etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, did your surgeon see both the CGMS number, and the meter number? I have very good agreement between my CGM and meter about 90% of the time, but there can be a big difference the other 10% of the time. I do not want a Bionic Pancreas that would depend on the CGM to give us both insulin and glucagon when it thinks we need it.

      Delete