Saturday, February 28, 2015

T1 For 69 Years, Ch. 6

T1 Diabetes for 69 Years
I have read about young diabetics who cheat and rebel. I was diagnosed
at the tender age of 6. I loved and respected my parents, and I did
not question their demands involving my diabetes care. I was NEVER to
eat sugar or candy or other items containing sugar unless I was having
very low blood sugar. I followed that rule to the letter. Mother was
so good to make me wonderful desserts sweetened with saccharin. I
loved her desserts so much that I was not tempted to eat their
desserts. Some of my favorites were banana cream pie, cherry vanilla
custard pie, baked custard pie, chocolate pie, rhubarb pie, peach pie,
and raisin pie. The pies had homemade crusts that were very thick and
they were divided into five pieces for my dinners and suppers. Can you
tell I liked pies??? There was also applesauce cake for my birthday,
and again for Christmas. The cake contained lots of nuts, raisins and
and applesauce, to make it stay moist. None of these desserts
contained any sugar so they were OK for me, right? We thought they
were. Can you imagine how many carbs were in these desserts? A typical
breakfast had two kinds of meat, perhaps sausage cakes and thick ham
slices which I ate with my eggs. There were homemade biscuits with
lots of butter, and I would dunk them in my saccharin sweetened
homemade apple butter. That and a big glass of milk from our own cows
completed my meal. Is it any wonder that I had terribly high blood sugar? The breakfast was so large because both of
my parents were raised on a farm and they and their families worked
hard and needed that food for energy as they set out to do their
farming chores. I do not think my parents knew any other way to live.
We had three large meals every day and I am certain I must have eaten
more than 500 carbs per day. When the peaches were ripe in our orchard
I would climb up on the lower branches and reach up for a mellow,
juicy peach. They were as big as a grown man's fist. I would eat two
and my tummy would hurt. I was covered with juice so I would go home
to wash up. Daddy always sprayed our fruit and every time I ate our
fruit I was eating dangerous chemicals. We did not know any better. It
never hurt any of us so far as I know. We had plums, grapes ,
strawberries, raspberries, apples and pears. I ate too much fruit but
I loved it. I was in charge of the melon patch. I planted cantelopes
and watermelons each year. They required sandy soil and lots of water.
The were left on the vine until they were fully ripe. They taste so
much better that way than when they are picked green and ripened
afterwards. The same is true with all fruit and tomatoes. My mouth is
watering terribly as I write this chapter today.
Daddy milked the cows at daybreak and cleaned their stalls. Then he
ate breakfast and went back out and hoed or plowed the garden, watered
and pruned trees and shrubs, and did so many other things. He would
then go home for dinner and sleep on the floor for an hour afterwards.
He then reported to the post office where he worked from 2pm until
11pm with a one hour break for supper. The lunch pail Mother packed
for him was unbelievable. He ate some of what we had at home for our
supper. Daddy would get home late and try to be in bed by midnight. I
have never known a man to work so hard. On some days he made time to
pick up a load of shrubbery at my uncles nursery and plant them at
people's houses. We told people that Daddy had three jobs. The farm,
the post office, and the nursery. Daddy had a lot of muscle and was
never much overweight. None of us were ever much overweight, even
though we ate food like there was no tomorrow. I was always skinny
until many years later when I started using modern day insulins. We
worked hard and we all loved each other so much. Good food, hard work
and lots of love. That is my recipe for a successful family and
growing up well.
My parents never smoked cigarettes or drank alcoholic beverages. They
were my guiding light and I intended to follow in their footsteps.
When I was 10 a young lad two years older than me came to our house.
He was in my homeroom when I was in fifth grade. He had failed two
times and had been held back. He had never ridden a horse and he
wanted to ride our old work horse. So Bobby, Larry and I climbed
aboard and we rode through the pasture. Bobby offered us cigarettes.
Larry and I had never smoked, but we did not want to be called
chicken, so we smoked a couple. After Bobby went home we decided we
would continue smoking after school each day. Larry took a pack of
Lucky Strikes out of his father's pickup truck and we headed to his
back property where no one would see us. We smoked our way through
several packs in a few weeks time. Larry's Father eventually caught
on. He was missing his packs of cigarettes and his Mother had smelled
the tobacco odor on Larry's clothes. One night after dark Larry and
his parents came to visit. That was most unusual and I knew something
was up. Larry would not look at me, and he hung his head. The jig was
up. My parents were shocked to hear what I had done but they did no
discipline me at all. It was not necessary. I was so ashamed that I
had disappointed my parents, whom I loved so much. I think they knew I
would never do anything like that again, and I didn't. My urine sugar
had been 4+ every morning all that time I had been smoking. Now we all
knew why. I had not been eating well either during that time. Things
improved a lot in the weeks to come. Except for abandoning my sister
in the corn field, smoking was the only bad thing I ever did as a
child. My parents were good examples to follow, and my sister and I
were good followers.
After I was grown I found that my Mother and Dr. Davis had been
working together for my "benefit". Mother would phone him and tell him
things that she wanted him to tell me before she drove me in for my
appointments. "Now Alvin, you can't drink or smoke. that will make
your diabetes much worse." That was after my cigarette episode. "Now
Alvin, you can't participate in gym at school, that will make your
sugar go too low and you may have very low blood sugar." I do not know
exactly how Dr Davis expressed himself on these occasions but I can
still hear his voice and his advice. I always trusted him without
question. I was very disappointed in my Mother and the doctor for
their plotting and scheming. He also questioned my going to college,
but he did not sound so forceful as he had the other times. Mother
admitted that she had called Dr Davis about college. I was onto their
wicked ways! HA!! Never again! I never argued with Mother about this.
I just told her I was disappointed in her and she apologized. Daddy
did not know anything about this. Maybe he never did. I never told

No comments:

Post a Comment