Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Subdural Hematoma

Oct. 15:  Dizziness caused me to fall backwards at my home, and the back of my head hit the asphalt on my driveway. I went to my local ER, and they said I would probably not have a concussion. They sent me home. I seemed to be ok. About a week later I started feeling very weak in my legs, and had to start using a walker at home. My condition did not seem to get any worse for the next couple of weeks.

Nov. 1: My wife insisted that we see my doctor. He sent me to the ER, and a cat scan showed bleeding in the vicinity of my head injury. I was diagnosed with a subdural hematoma. They sent me to the Albany Medical Center about one hour north of my home. Further testing showed the bleeding had spread. Walking was impossible at that time, and I could not turn over in bed. My legs were partially paralyzed. I had to stop using aspirin, which I use as a blood thinner. When my blood was no longer too thin, a procedure was to be scheduled to remove the old blood.

Nov. 3: The procedure was performed. After shaving a patch on both sides of my head, they drilled holes and used a device that let the blood drain out. A lot of blood drained during the next two days. I was able to turn over in bed, and I had a wonderful sleep!!! The next morning I noticed a lot of renewed strength in my hips and legs. I was allowed to get up and walk, with help. Physical therapy was to be prescribed, and I know a great PT guy in my home town (Kingston, NY). I was anxious to get back to workouts at the gym. My trainer there is excellent, and she is able guide me through appropriate exercises, and the machines to use to get me back in shape.

My wife will take very good care of me at home. We have been married 48 years, and we want to have a golden anniversary, so I must stay in good shape! LOL!!

As you can see, I have very good people to take good care of me. Old man Richard will survive and continue his quest for the 75 year Joslin medal in the year 2020.

Nov. 5: The tubing was removed from my head today, and staples placed there, to hold everything in place. I don't want any brains to spill out! LOL! I am walking again with a walker, and strength is coming back into my legs. They are sending me home tomorrow. They cannot wait to get rid of me! lol

Nov. 6: I arrived at my home after dark today, and am doing very well. While my cab was headed south the car in front of us swerved and ran onto the edge of the interstate highway. The cab driver managed to avoid hitting the car as we ran over a big bump. Then we realized that the other car had hit a deer. We ran over that deer without any problems. I could have ended up having to go back to the hospital!!The taxi driver was very good. When we arrived at my house, my wife and I gave him a big tip!!

Nov. 8: I have put my walker in the closet. Almost all my strength and coordination have returned. I feel so lucky that my recovery has been so fast. I am 73 years old, and I have been a type 1 diabetic for 67 years. Neither diabetes nor brain surgery are going to keep me from having a long, healthy life!! 


  1. Oh my word. What a ride you've been on. So glad to hear that you're doing better and feeling stronger!

  2. Thanks Scott! The only additional thing is a strange reaction to the anti-seizure med I am taking (Keppra). Depression, disorientation, weakness, dizziness, anger, etc. This started on Nov 12.It scared me, but once I realized it was just a side effect, and I was no longer scared. Now I am adjusted and can wait out the additional 23 days until I no longer have to take the med.

  3. Richard,
    Thanks for sharing this journey. I, too, am glad you're doing better and that you never lost your sense of humor and positive attitude! It's great to have goals, and I'm excited for your golden anniversary and your 75 year medal!!